Good morning, everybody. Diane Witek here, your host of the Riverhead Daily — here to explain everything that’s fit to print about what’s happening in town these days. Without further ado…
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny and beautiful. High: 78, Low: 59.
Here are the top stories today in Riverhead:
- The New York State Public High School Athletic Association’s School of Excellence Award for the 2021 to 2022 school year went to Riverhead High School, The Riverhead district said 92 percent of the high school’s varsity teams had over a 90 GPA. Way to go! (Riverhead Patch)
- In Riverhead you can be fined $100-$250 for smoking, vaping or consuming cannabis near town parks, buildings and town-approved special events. On Tuesday, the Riverhead Town Board compliant the town code to regulate cannabis since voting over a year ago to allow adult-use cannabis sales in Riverhead.” (RiverheadLOCAL via Instagram)
- Come and celebrate Pride at the Farm on Friday, June 10, at the Suffolk County Farm and Education Center at 350 Yaphank Avenue. This is a free, family-oriented event – from 4 to 7 pm The event will include visiting animals, tour of the facility on “the back of an open-air tractor wagon”, crafts, music and more. (LongIsland.com)
- New York retail shops will no longer be able to sell dogs, cats or rabbits if the governor signs the bill that both houses of the State Legislature recently passed. (RiverheadLOCAL via Instagram)
- At 9:55 pm Wednesday, the Riverhead Fire Department responded to a call for a house fire at 43 Flanders Roadjust east of the traffic circle, Riverhead Fire Department Chief Joe Hartmann said. The house that had long been abandoned, was engulfed in flames when the fire department arrived. (RiverheadLOCAL via Instagram)
From our sponsor:
Are you a Riverhead resident looking for an investment alternative to the stock market,
Bloomberg recently asked experts where they’d invest $100,000 right now, and many of them had the same answer: fine art.
Thinking you can’t afford a Picasso? Well in 2012, Congress passed the JOBS Act, which allowed for the securitization of artwork. A company called Masterworks.io built the largest platform for buying and selling art securities. In the past, you could only buy shares of companies like Apple, but with this investing app, you can unlock this powerful investment.
Meaning, you can invest in shares of million-dollar artwork. And in uncertain times, it turns out, fine art may be a wise investment. Here’s why:
- Low correlation to stocks according to Citi
- Contemporary art historically returns 23.2% when inflation is >3%
- Contemporary art prices outpaced the S&P 500 by 164% (1995-2021)
To learn more, visit Masterworks.io, where Riverhead Daily readers can skip the waitlist.
See important Reg A Disclosures
Today in Riverhead:
- Riley, Roanoke Kindergarten Screening. (All Day)
- PRIDE at the Farm! – Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County. (Noon)
- Spring Tea – Hallockville Museum Farm. (1 pm)
From my notebook:
- Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office: “Sheriff Toulon had the opportunity to stop by the Sheriff’s Academy and speak with the 47 Correction Recruits currently in training. He answered their questions and spoke about his background in law enforcement.” (Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office via Facebook) (Website)
- East End Women’s Network – EEWN: “Join us for an interactive, fun evening with Dr. Marilyn LoPresti. Learn the benefits of Tai Chi, Qigong, and Qigong Meditation to help decrease stress, lose weight & overall well-being. Enjoy networking and a delicious dinner at.” (East End Women’s Network – EEWN via Facebook) (Website)
- The Suffolk Theater: “Grammy, Emmy, & Tony Award nominated comedian Robert Klein is comin’ to town June 25! If you don’t have your tickets yet, grab them online or give our Box Office a call at 631-727-4343. #standupcomedy, #robertklein.” (The Suffolk Theater via Instagram) (Website)
- Spirit’s Promise Equine Rescue Program: “New in our store!’ (Spirit’s Promise Equine Rescue Program via Facebook) (Website)
- The Suffolk Theater: “Kasim Sulton is honoring his longtime association with Utopia and his legacy and he’s sharing the spotlight with School of Rock Port Jefferson on July 29! Come hear songs hand-picked by Sulton, spanning the 10 albums he appears on.” (The Suffolk Theater via Instagram) (Website)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Gigs & services:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Friday! I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update.
, Diane Witek
About me: Impassioned Writer, Website Designer, Social Media Marketer and newly proclaimed Baker. Lover of nature and animals of all kinds.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Riverhead Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org