How did we calculate this?
- Rebates on Menards purchases
- Additional rebates with partnered brands
- Convenient payment plans
- Less competitive than some other offerings
- Rebates limit purchases to Menards stores
Menards Credit Card Overview
A good credit card can be highly convenient for consumers who pay their balance on time. For anyone considering the Menards credit card, here’s a full analysis of unique features and how the card compares to alternatives.
The Menards BIG Card is the company’s credit card offering for everyday buyers. It has several benefits for customers visiting its stores regularly, including special offers and rebates that can be used for in-store purchases.
It’s important to know all of the perks when deciding on a regular spending credit card. Here’s a full breakdown of the Menards BIG Card.
The main perk of the Menards BIG Card is its lack of annual fees. However, credit approval is required by anyone signing up – Menards performs a soft inquiry, which means that applying for the Menards BIG Card will not affect a consumer’s credit score.
There are currently three special discounts available for the Menards BIG Card:
- Six-month plan: If a pre-tax purchase is more than $ 299, no interest is charged if the balance is paid in full at the end of the term.
- 12-month plan: If a pre-tax purchase is more than $ 599, no interest is charged if the balance is paid in full at the end of the term.
- 24-month plan: If a pre-tax purchase is more than $ 1,500, no interest is charged if the balance is paid in full at the end of the term.
These options are available for everyone with an open Menards account. There is a $ 40 penalty if a bill isn’t paid on time. This fee can be avoided by making timely payments 25 days prior to the end of each billing cycle.
The Menards credit card, which is issued by Capital One, has an APR of 26.49%. This is the interest rate cardholders will have to pay on top of their purchase if payments are not repaid in full and on time.
Consumers with good credit scores will likely be able to find a better APR with another card.
By working with Capital One, the Menards BIG Card offers all the security and functionality benefits that one would expect from a credit card. All accounts and credit cards can be viewed in the Capital One app where users can manage their spending. This gives Menards credit card users facilities to:
- Find unique discounts and coupons, where available
- Use Capital One’s CreditWise facility for managing and tracking credit scores
Menards credit cards also make a point of their security standards accountability. Cardholders receive security alerts in the event of suspicious activity, and cards can be locked or unlocked at the touch of a button.
Rebates of 2% are available on all purchases made with a Menards BIG Card when more than $ 5 is spent. This isn’t available, however, if a shopper is already taking advantage of one of Menards’ special discount offers above. Nonetheless, it can be ideal for those who are making regular purchases at its stores.
Additionally, Menards has partnered up with prominent brands that sweeten the deal. These rebates are paid on top of Menards’ offer, so buyers can save even more. Here are some of the companies that give a 1% cash rebate when spending on gas and other goods:
Likewise, other participating brands that are sold in-store at Menards qualify for rebates varying from 1% to 2%. These purchases include regular grocery shopping, cleaning products, health and beauty brands, pet care, homeware, laundry supplies and floor coverings. Well-known brand names include:
- Head & Shoulders
- Old Spice
It’s important to note that these rebates are given in the form of merchandise certificates that can only be redeemed at Menards stores.
How Does the Menards Credit Card Stand Out?
The Menards credit card stands out for its limited-time deals on big-ticket items. Buyers have the chance to make a large purchase and pay it back interest-free for up to 48 months.
Comparable Menards Credit Card Options
Here’s a breakdown of similarities and differences in Menard’s credit card offering and how it stacks up against the competition.
Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard
The Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard gives customers 5% cash back on online purchases and 2% cash back on purchases made at Walmart stores and gas stations, as well as for travel and at restaurants. It offers 1% cash back on all other purchases. Menards, comparatively, only offers rebates at 2% for Menards purchases and an added rebate from select brands.
Menards card rebates can only be redeemed in Menards stores, whereas the Walmart Rewards card is accepted everywhere that takes Mastercard.
Both the Menards BIG Card and Target’s RedCard have no annual fees. The Target RedCard gives customers 5% cash back on all Target purchases which is more than the rebates available with the BIG Card.
The Target RedCard also offers free two-day shipping on items – a benefit not seen with the BIG Card.
How To Apply
The process to sign up for a Menards credit card is relatively simple. New customers can follow the below steps.
- Visit the Menards website.
- Click or tap on the “Credit Center” dropdown, which can be found in the top right.
- Select “BIG Card Application.”
You will then be redirected to Capital One’s website. From there, the following details will be required:
- Name, date of birth and tax ID
- Home address and contact details
- Employment status, salary, mortgage or rent costs and bank account usage
Once completed, the terms and conditions are available at the bottom to read and agree to in order to complete the process.
Who the Menards Credit Card Is Best For
Menards credit cards are suitable for regular customers of its stores. The extra rebates from partnered brands, coupled with its own 2% deal, is competitive when compared with similar credit cards. As a result, loyal Menards customers have the chance to save more money, more often.
However, customers who don’t often shop at Menards might not find the rebates to be competitive enough, especially in light of the relatively high APR.
For instant access to credit for a major purchase, Menards is an excellent interest-free solution with its current offers. If considering an everyday spending credit card, however, applicants should weigh other options before making their final choice.
FAQHere are some questions people ask about the Menards credit card.
- What credit score do you need for a Menards card?
- Neither Menards nor Capital One provides an exact credit score necessary to be eligible for the Menards BIG Card. Credit history and financial status will be taken into account when applying. New customers can apply for pre-approval to see if they qualify, and this will not affect their credit score.
- Is Menards a Capital One card?
- Yes. Menards partners with Capital One to offer a range of credit cards, including the Menards BIG Card.
- How long does it take to get approved for a Menards credit card?
- Capital One, the issuer of Menards credit cards, aims to make decisions in “60 seconds or less.” But it can take between seven to 10 business days for approval in some circumstances.
- Can I use my Menards card at Walmart?
- No. Walmart will not accept Menards credit cards. Both brands have their own credit card offering to incentivize buying from customers. Walmart has its own Capital One credit card that competes with the BIG Card.
Information is accurate as of Aug. 31, 2022, and is subject to change.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyzes, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.