The Sod Poodles are back in town.
Following their two-week road trip, the Soddies have returned to Amarillo to face off against the Frisco RoughRiders in a six-game series this week.
Amarillo first baseman Leandro Cedeno will head into Tuesday’s action as the newest Texas League Player of the Week for the week of Aug. 22-28.
More:Texas Panhandle HS volleyball top performers & results, Aug. 25-28
The slugger hit .435 (10-for-23) with four home runs, two doubles, 12 RBI, seven runs scored and three walks in six games played against the Corpus Christi Hooks.
Cedeño is hitting .315 (127-for-403) through 103 games played this season, with a Double-A-leading 29 home runs and 90 RBI.
The 24-year-old Venezuelan also ranks top 10 in the Texas League this season in total bases (1st, 232), hits (2nd, 127), runs scored (2nd, 82), OPS (3rd, .954), SLG (3rd, .576), XBH (4th, 47), and AVG (5th, .315). His 29 home runs are tied for the 6th most among minor leaguers currently and he became the Sod Poodles single-season home run leader when he hit the first of his four home runs against the Hooks this past series.
In other team-related news, former Sod Poodle Corbin Carroll made his Major League debut on Monday for the Arizona Diamondbacks after spending the last month-and-a-half suiting up for the Triple-A Reno Aces.
Carroll went 1-for-5 with 2 RBI and two runs scored with a double in his debut.
Amarillo owns a 58-61 overall record and is scheduled this week to face off against Frisco — the affiliate of the Texas Rangers.
Frisco (64-55) enters the week coming off of a 4-2 homestand against the Wichita Wind Surge.
More:HS Volleyball matches to watch and schedule, Aug. 30
The Rangers have a handful of 10 prospects currently playing for the RoughRiders in right-handed pitchers Jack Leiter (No. 2) and Owen White (No. 4), second baseman Justin Foscue (No. 5), shortstop/second baseman Luisangel Acuna (No. 7), and outfielder Dustin Harris (No. 9).
Leiter, the second overall pick in the 2021 Draft, has posted a 3-9 record with a 5.35 ERA in 19 starts this season. He has totaled 94 strikeouts and 46 walks in 79 innings pitched.
White was a second round pick (55th overall) in 2018 by the Rangers and is off to a 3-0 start with a 2.49 ERA through his first four starts at the Double-A level. Foscue is batting .281 with 10 home runs, 28 doubles, 60 RBI and 44 runs scored.
Frisco is in first place in the Texas League South Division, while the Sod Poodles are sitting fourth.
Amarillo is 29-28 at home this season while the RoughRiders have gone 32-24 on the road.
For results from the contests, visit www.amarillo.com/sports.
This week’s series
• Opponents: Frisco RoughRiders
• Schedules: 6:05 pm Tuesday-Thursday; 7:05 pm Friday-Saturday; 1:05 pm Sunday
• Where: Hodgetown Ballpark, Amarillo
• Records: Amarillo 58-61, Frisco 64-55
• What to know: Frisco ranks fourth in the Texas League in team batting average (.261) and behind Amarillo at the top of the charts (.278). The Sod Poodles are third in home runs (158) with the RoughRiders behind them in eighth (137). Frisco is also eighth in runs scored (628) with the Soddies second in the league (730). The RoughRiders pitching staff ranks third in team ERA (4.45) and the Sod Poodles are tied with Northwest Arkansas for last-place (6.05).
SOD POODLES STAT LEADERS
• Averages: Roby Enriquez .333; Leandro Cedeno .315; Juan Centeno .310
• OBP: Roby Enriquez .390; Tristin English, Jorge Barrosa .382; Leandro Cedeno .378
• Doubles: Eduardo Diaz 26; Jorge Barrosa 23; Juan Centeno 20
• Triples: Blaze Alexander, Eduardo Diaz, Ti’Quan Forbes 2
• HR: Leandro Cedeno 29; Blaze Alexander 14; Juan Centeno 12
• RBI: Leandro Cedeno 90; Eduardo Diaz 67; Juan Centeno 52
• Runs: Leandro Cedeno 82; Jorge Barrosa 75; Eduardo Diaz 62
• ERAS: Kyle Backhus 0.00; Mack Lemieux 3.26; Blake Rogers 3.72
• Innings pitched: Slade Cecconi 111 2/3; Bryce Jarvis 96 1/3; Deyni Olivero 96
• Wins: Jeff Bain 8; Slade Cecconi 7; Blake Walston 6
• Saves: Blake Rogers 12; Kyle Backhus 2
• Strikeouts: Slade Cecconi 107; Bryce Jarvis 103; Blake Walston 94
• Walks: Bryce Jarvis 53; Deyni Olivero, Blake Walston 34
Sod Poodles Roster moves
Aug. 23: RHP Jamison Hill transferred to Amarillo from High-A Hillsboro
Aug. 23: INF Jordan Lawlar transferred to Amarillo from High-A Hillsboro
Aug. 23: RHP Garrett Leonard transferred to Amarillo from Arizona Complex League
Aug. 23: RHP Josh Green placed on Development List
Aug. 23: RHP Austin Pope placed on Development List
TUESDAY, AUGUST 23
SOD POODLES 8, HOOKS 0
Sod Poodles: Leandro Cedeno 3-5, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R; Laughter Team 2-3, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R; Slade Cecconi 6 IP, 2 H, 5 SO
Hooks: Will Wagner 2-4; Joe Perez 1-4; Freylin Garcia 1 IP, 1 H, 1 SO
Highlights: The Sod Poodles scored four runs in the third inning and kept the pressure on as the pitching staff shutout the Hooks to open the week.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 24
SOD POODLES 11, HOOKS 3
Sod Poodles: Nick Dalesandro 2-4, 2 RBI, 1 R; Leandro Cedeno 1-5, 4 RBI, 1 R; Blake Walston 6 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 6 SO
Hooks: CJ Stubbs 3-4, 2 RBI; Shay Whitcomb 2-4, 1 R; Derek West 1 1/3 IP, 1 H, 1 SO
Highlights: Amarillo’s pitching once again shined as the Sod Poodles built a 11-0 lead before the Hooks finally got on the board in the eighth inning.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 25
HOOKS 6, SOD POODLES 1
Sod Poodles: Tristin English 2-4, 1 RBI; Leandro Cedeno 1-4, 1 R; Ross Carver 5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Hooks: Scott Schreiber 1-3, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R; Grae Kessinger 1-3, HR, 2 RBI, 1 R; Tyler Brown 4 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 SO
Highlights: Amarillo was limited to four hits and one run on a night where a pair of Corpus Christi pitchers shut down the high-powered offense.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 26
SOD POODLES 6, HOOKS 5
Sod Poodles: Leandro Cedeno 2-4, HR, 3 RBI, 1 R; Blaze Alexander 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, 1 R; Deyni Olivero 5 IP, 3 H, 4 SO
Hooks: Joe Perez 3-4, 1 R; Will Wagner 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, 1 R; Jonathan Sprinkle 2 IP, 2 SO
Highlights: Corpus Christi scored five runs in the last three innings but it was not enough to overcome Amarillo’s early lead.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 27
HOOKS 9, SOD POODLES 8 (F/10)
Sod Poodles: Blaze Alexander 1-4, HR, 3 RBI, 1 R; Jordan Lawlar 3-6, 1 R; Bryce Jarvis 5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 5 SO
Hooks: Ross Adolph 2-3, 1 RBI, 3 R; Scott Schreiber 1-3, HR, 2 RBI, 1 R; Matt Ruppenthal 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 SO
Highlights: The Hooks scored two runs in the bottom of the tenth to down Amarillo.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 28
HOOKS 6, SOD POODLES 5
Sod Poodles: Tristin English 2-3, HR, 3 RBI, 1 R; Nick Dalesandro 1-4, 2 RBI; Slade Cecconi 5 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
Hooks: Alex McKenna 3-4, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R; CJ Stubbs 1-4, HR, 1 RBI, 1 R; Derek West 2 IP, 3 SO
Highlights: Corpus Christi held off a late comeback attempt by Amarillo and picked up the win to split the weekly series.