The United States Department of Transportation (DoT) canceled 26 flights for Chinese airlines between September 5 and 28, in response to actions taken by the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC), under file DOT-OST-2020-0052. have been given American Airlines Operations.
During the pandemic, flight restrictions between China and the US were affected by strict rules established by Chinese authorities, which have imposed restrictions on US airlines for the number of passengers who test positive for COVID-19.
American, Delta and United continue to operate scheduled passenger flights to China with limited operations, but their services have been continuously disrupted by CAAC actions, with US crew also affected by strict health regulations from Chinese officials.
The Government of the United States expresses that the Chinese authorities personally authorize passengers who are eligible to fly from China to the United States and comply with all regulations by the CAAC with respect to United States Airlines departure protocols, So they should not be penalized if a traveler tests positive for COVID-19 upon arrival in China.
New sanctions by Chinese authorities
The CAAC established that if 5 to 9 passengers test positive for COVID-19 upon arrival in China, the air operator must choose one of 2 restrictive measures:
- Suspend for 14 days commencing within 4 weeks of occurrence of reported COVID-19 cases.
- Enforce a 4-week passenger load limit restriction of no more than 40%, starting from 28 days after the occurrence of the recorded COVID-19 cases.
On August 7, 2022, the CAAC published a new notice, stating that operations would be suspended if more than 4% of the passengers on the flight test positive for COVID-19. Two flights are suspended if the number of passengers infected with COVID- 19 exceeds 8%.
The DOT has found that the actions of the CAAC harm US operators, affecting the bilateral rights of the two countries. The department hopes that the Chinese authorities can rectify the situation and establish a more competitive environment for both sides.
Between February 8, 2022 and September 5, 2022, the CAAC has ordered the cancellation of 24 flights belonging to Delta, United and American.
dot suspended services
- airChina: flight CA770 SHENZHEN (SZX) – LOS ANGELES (LAX) on September 6, 13, 20 and 27.
- airChina: ca flight 988 Beijing Capital (PEK) – Los Angeles (LAX) on September 18 and 25.
- China East: ca flight 588 Shanghai Pudong (PVG) – Los Angeles (LAX) on September 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26 and 28.
- China Southern: CZ Flight 328 GUANGZHOU (CAN) – LOS ANGELES (LAX) on September 10, 12, 17, 19, 24 and 26.
- Xiamen Airlines: Flight MF830 Xiamen (XMN) – Los Angeles (LAX) on September 5, 8, 12, 15, 19, 22 and 26.