After going 1-0-1 to open the season, Oregon hits the road for the first time this year to face Gonzaga Saturday at 7 pm (WCC Network).
• This will be Oregon’s first trip to Spokane since 2006.
• True Dydasco got her sixth season off to a quick start, assisting on the game-winning goal Aug. 18 versus New Mexico State and scoring the tying goal three days later against San Francisco.
• Aug. 21 versus San Francisco, Leah Freeman matched her career high with nine saves.
• Callan Harrington made her long-awaited Oregon debut Aug. 18 against New Mexico State and scored on her very first shot attempt. Harrington holds the state of Oregon high school record for career goals with 133, one more than soccer Hall of Famer and US national team star Tiffeny Milbrett. Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic and untimely injuries, it had been nearly three years since Harrington last took the field in 2019 in the Oregon 6A state championship match.
• Seven players made their Oregon debut on opening weekend. That list included senior Madeline Gravantejunior Bell Rolleysophomore Callan Harrington and freshmen Anna Emperador, Livvy Moore, Trinity Morales and Ajanae Respass.
• The oldest and youngest Ducks accounted for all of Oregon’s points during the opening weekend. Sixth-year senior True Dydasco had a goal and an assist, while fifth-year senior Chai Cortez had an assist. Freshmen got in on the act with Ajanae Respass scoring a goal and Livvy Moore earnings and assists. Sophomore Callan Harringtonin her first game as a Duck, also scored.
• The Ducks played their opening weekend without the services of three returning starters from 2021. Kess Elmore, Caitlin Shaw and Croix Soto were held out recovering from minor ailments.
• Oregon welcomed the No. 25 recruiting classes (Top Drawer Soccer) to campus for the 2022 season. Among the 10 incoming freshmen are four-star recruits Christian Conti, Trinity Morales and Ajanae Respasswho joins USC transfer Bell Rolley.
• In 2021, Oregon posted consecutive winning seasons for the first time in 40 years; 1980 (13-1-3) and 1981 (13-2-3).
• The Ducks were an impressive 4-1-5 on the road in 2021 (2-1-3 in league play).
WEEK ONE RECAP
Oregon went 1-0-1 on the opening weekend of the 2022 season. In the season opener, Callan Harrington scored her first career goal (assisted by Livvy Moore and True Dydasco) for a 1-0 lead just before halftime. Ajanae Respass put the game away with a rebound goal in the 89th minute for a 2-0 win over New Mexico State (Aug. 18). Leah Freeman made five saves to earn the shutout versus the Aggies. Three days later against San Francisco, Freeman matched her career high with nine saves as the Ducks rallied for a 1-1 tie. After USF took the lead in the first half, Dydasco knotted the game up with a goal from 35 yards out in the 61st minute (assisted by Chai Cortez).
PRESEASON HONORS FOR FREEMAN
Goalkeeper Leah Freeman was named to the 2022 Hermann Trophy Watch List. The Hermann Trophy, presented annually by the Missouri Athletic Club, is the nation’s highest individual honor recognizing the National Player of the Year as determined by the voting of Division I coaches who are members of United Soccer Coaches. Nine players from the Pac-12 were among the 61 nationally named to the Hermann Trophy preseason list. Freeman was also one of 12 players nationally named to the United Soccer Coaches goalkeeper watch. Additionally, Top Drawer Soccer named Freeman to their Preseason Best XI Third Team as the No. 29 players overall nationally. The first team All-Pac-12 and All-Pacific Region selection led the Pac-12 and tied for 15th nationally with a school-record nine shut outs in 2021. Freeman ranked third in the league in both goals against average (0.87) and save percentage (.839) last season.
7 STARTERS RETURN
Oregon returns seven starters from a 2021 squad that went 9-4-6 overall and tied for fifth in the Pac-12 (4-4-3). The Ducks have all-conference goalkeeper Leah Freeman (1st team) and all-league defenders Croix Soto (2nd team) and Chai Cortez (3rd team), as well as sophomore Anna Phillips returning on defense. Fifth-year senior Zoe Hasenauera 2021 United Soccer Coaches all-region selection, and senior Caitlin Shaw anchor the midfield. Up front, sixth-year senior forward Kess Elmore scored three goals in 2021.
11 NEWCOMERS JOIN ROSTER
The Ducks signed 11 newcomers for the fall of 2021. The class, which features four-star recruits Christian Conti (Tustin, Calif.), Trinity Morales (Tucson, Ariz.) and Ajanae Respass (Highlands Ranch, Colo.), was ranked 25th nationally by Top Drawer Soccer. Other incoming freshmen include Anna Emperador (Elk Grove, Calif.), Ainsley Fink (Las Vegas, Nev.), Caitlyn McCulloch (Orinda, Calif.), Livvy Moore (Deer Park, Wash.), Rieley Petkovich (Prescott, Ariz.), Julia Richards (Portland) and Anna Solomon (Lafayette, Calif.), as well as USC transfer Bell Rolleya junior red shirt.