Good morning. I’m back with all the latest local news in the Tampa Daily. Here’s a quick look at what’s happening in your town:
- 🏫 Hillsborough County voters shot down a proposed mil property tax for schools that would have increased teacher pay.
- ⚖️ Voters have replaced Hillsborough Circuit Judge Jared Smith in a stunning upset.
- 👮 Police arrested Hillsborough High School student for bringing a gun to campus.
Today is National Burger Day and a number of restaurants are celebrating.
First, today’s weather:
An afternoon thunderstorm. High: 90 Low: 77.
🏡 Attention, real estate pros in Tampa! We’re now offering an exclusive sponsorship opportunity for an agent interested in attracting local clients and standing apart from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Tampa today:
1. Hillsborough County voters shot down a proposed mil property tax increase for raises for teachers. Hillsborough County was accused of mismanaging its budget last year, resulting in the Department of Education nearly taking over the district. (Tampa Patch)
2. 28-year-old Tara Ballou, a teacher and employee at Children’s Land of Imagination Academywas arrested for child abuse on Tuesday. The owner of the daycare, 51-year-old Rong Lui, was also recently arrested for the same thing. Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office shared videos of the incidents, which could be disturbing to viewers. (ABC Action News)
3. Voters delivered an upset loss to Hillsborough County Circuit Judge Jared Smithwho found himself in local and national headlines this year when he sought to deny a 17-year-old an abortionpartly because she had a C average GPA. Smith ran an unusually partisan race for a nonpartisan role, with bitter attack ads against his opponent, causing some to pull their endorsements from his campaign before his eventual loss. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
4. The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a death at a hotel in Tampa Wednesday morning. The incident happened at the Quality Inn in the 10000 block of Princess Palm Avenue. (WFLA)
5. Officers arrested a student at Hillsborough High School for bringing a gun on campus, Tampa police said Tuesday. The teen was charged with possession of a firearm on school property and minor in possession of a firearm. (Fox 13)
Today in Tampa:
- Wedding & Event Industry Mixer at LOOK Dine-In Cinemas Tampa. (2 pm)
- Art On The House at Tampa Museum Of Art. (4 pm)
- Networking Event & Business Card Exchange at American Social Tampa. (5:30 pm)
- Community Yoga Class at Tampa Sports Academy. (6 pm)
- “I’m Obsessed” An Art Show By Laura Eve at The Disco Dolls Studio. (6 pm)
From my notebook:
- Keel Farms has partnered with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to be the official sangria and cider partner for the home games at Raymond James Stadium. The Plant City-based producer will sell Pirate Punch Cider as well as their blueberry and strawberry sangria game days. (ABC Action News)
- TradeWinds Islands Resorts is hosting its 3rd Annual Bucs Beach Bash from September 9 to 11 as the Bucs take on the Dallas Cowboys for their NFL season opener. The event will include live music, corn hole tournaments, poolside parties, a Bucs Watch Party, Kids Zone, and more. (That’s So Tampa)
- Tampa city leaders made a leap forward to a new, state-of-the-art recreation complex in East Tampa on Wednesday with the start of the demolition at the old Penny Saver Food Market. The new complex will span 10 acres. (WTSP)
- Fourth Friday Tampa is this Friday. Enjoy a weekend filled with the arts and cultures venues in Tampa’s Downtown district. (City of Tampa via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Thursday. I’ll see you back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update!
– Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.