Welcome back to Miami Daily. I am back with all the latest that is happening in town.
- 🍕 A popular NYC pizzeria concept has opened in Miami’s Wynwood neighborhood.
- 🏠 Miami rent prices appear to have slowed their rise as residents leave the market.
- 🚌 Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nuñez is being criticized for suggesting to bus Cuban migrants out of Miami.
Todays is National Waffle Day and Ukraine Independence Day.
First, today’s weather:
A morning shower; some sun. High: 90 Low: 81.
👀 Attention local businesses & marketers: Attract more customers in Miami by sponsoring this daily newsletter, which gets read by the same people you’re trying to reach. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories today in Miami:
1. A woman damaged a memorial honoring the victims of the Surfside collapse. Police say the woman, who has since been Baker Acted, cut the banner hanging from a fence facing Collins Avenue. (WSVN)
2. New York City’s Zazzy’s Pizza opened its first Florida location at 2525 NW Second Avenue in Miami’s Wynwood District. The opening marks the fifth location for Zazzy’s Pizza. The owner said, “Let’s face it, so many people from New York have moved to Miami …” (Miami New Times)
3. South Florida’s average rent rose 0.35% in July 2022 as the spike in prices come to a screeching halt. Enrique Teran of the Miami Association of Realtors says that locals may have been priced out of the market and forced to leave. The average rent in Miami is now $ 2,800. (The Real Deal – Miami)
4. Former President Donald Trump has requested that a “special master” review materials seized during an FBI search of his Mar-a-Lago estate earlier this month, according to multiple reports. The move temporarily blocks the FBI from reviewing the materials. (Miami Patch)
5. Democrats in South Florida on Monday attacked Florida Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nuñezwho over the weekend faced backlash for appearing to suggest on a radio show that Cubans who were in Florida “illegally” should be bused out of the state. (Subscription: Miami Herald, Free: WFSU)
Today in Miami:
- City Commission Meeting at City Of Coral Gables (9 am)
- Wired Wednesday: Waffle Wednesday w / Free Co-WRK at The Spot Wynwood. (noon)
- $ 2 Taco Wednesday at Beat Culture Brewing Company. (noon)
- Video Game Night at West Flagler Branch. (4:30 pm)
- Vizcaya Late | Hurricane Party at Vizcaya Museum & Gardens. (6 pm)
From my notebook:
- Miami-Dade County is reporting that Local beaches have seen their highest levels of seaweed since 2019. Such a large amount of seaweed can kill turtles and cause fish kills. (Axios)
- At least 75 Cuban migrants landed in the Florida Keys over the weekend, according to US Border Patrol. (FL Keys News)
- Brightline has completed the issuance of $ 770 million in new debtaccording to Bloomberg. The money will be used to finish the connection from South Florida to Orlando. (The Next Miami, Bloomberg)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
- 2nd year Anniversary Healers Network 28th Holistic Health Wellness & Psychic Fair on Zoom (August 27)
- Add your event
Alrighty, you’re all caught up for today. I’ll see you around!
– Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Miami Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org