Here’s Why American Airlines Stock Has Shed More Than 50% Since Late 2018

American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) stock price shed around 56% from $ 32 in 2018 end to $ 14 currently, primarily due to unfavorable changes in its P / S multiple. Additionally, the company witnessed a drop in its sales over this period, and combined with a rise in the outstanding share count, its revenues per share also decreased. Due to this, the stock has strongly underperformed the S&P, which returned a little over 60% over this timeframe.

In our interactive dashboard, Why American Airlines Stock Moved: AAL Stock Has Lost 56% Since 2018we break down the factors behind this move.

AAL’s Total Revenue has dropped 8.6% from $ 44.5 billion in FY 2018 to around $ 40.7 billion on an LTM basis

  • AAL’s total revenue first rose from $ 44.5 billion in FY ’18 to $ 45.8 billion in FY ’19, before dropping sharply to as low as $ 17.3 billion in FY ’20 due to the pandemic affecting flight travel.
  • However, the company’s sales have since recovered, rising steadily to almost $ 30 billion in FY ’21, and currently stand at $ 40.7 billion on an LTM basis.
  • As of FY ’21, AAL’s largest segment is the Passenger segment, making up around 87% of the company’s net sales, with Cargo and Other sales bringing in the remaining 13%.
  • For details about AAL revenues and comparison to peers, see American Airlines Revenue Comparison

Revenue per share decreased 24% from $ 81.67 in 2018 to $ 62.44 currently

  • AAL revenue dropped from $ 44.5 billion in 2018 to $ 40.7 billion currently, while the outstanding share count increased from 545.4 million in 2018 to 652.1 million currently.
  • Due to this, RPS has declined from $ 81.67 in FY ’18 to $ 62.44 currently.

Price-To-Sales (P / S) multiple for AAL rose from 0.5x in 2018 to 0.6x by 2020 end, but has pulled back to 0.2x currently, less than half its 2018 level

  • Despite AAL’s weak performance in FY ’20, its P / S multiple rose from 0.5x in 2018 to 0.6x in 2020, on the back of rising investor expectations surrounding a revival in demand for the company’s services.
  • However, due to the increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets and rising crude prices expected to weigh on margins, the P / S multiple has pulled back, currently standing at around 0.2x.
  • For additional details about the company stock returns and comparison to peers, see American Airlines Stock Return Comparison.

What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Our high-quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.

Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios

See all Trefis Price Estimates


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *