British tourist killed by helicopter blade while on vacation in Greece

A gruesome death that occurred in Greece has resulted in further investigation into what happened.

According to The Guardian, a Greek prosecutor has ordered an inquiry into the death of Jack Fenton, who was killed by a spinning rotor blade after disembarking in Athens from a helicopter chartered from Mykonos.

Two ground engineers and the aircraft’s pilot, who were detained after it happened on Monday, were released pending the results of the investigation.

“Our inquiry has focused on possible negligence,” a police source said. “Basic questions have emerged from witness testimony as to why the blades were not at a standstill when passengers were allowed to disembark on Monday.”

So, what happened here exactly?

While on vacation in Mykonos, the Oxford Brookes University student and his three friends were getting off the fired black Bell 407 helicopter. They were taken away from the helicopter and headed to a private lounge to wait for a plane to fly them back to London.

While in the heat of the moment, Fenton, who was the first to embark, unexpectedly turned back and walked towards the helicopter at a fast pace while others shouted for him to come back. Attempting to take a selfie within seconds of the Bell 407 touching down at a helipad, he was struck by the helicopter’s rear rotor blade while the blade was still in motion.

He was struck in the head, where the blunt force killed him instantly.

According to The Guardian, Fenton’s parents, who were flying behind in a second helicopter, were reportedly unaware of the tragedy when their own pilot was alerted and were diverted to Athens International Airport.

A fleet of limousines were due to take the group to the airport from the helipad.

Since the incident, the judicial inquiry was ordered after the results of a police investigation were delivered to the state prosecutor on Tuesday. Additionally, Greece’s committee for aviation accidents will oversee the findings.

“We have interviewed witnesses including the [three] friends who were traveling with him,” an officer said, “The probe will then be sent to the prosecutor who will assume the case.

According to the outlet, there is a possibility that the unnamed pilot could face charges of involuntary manslaughter.

But Superior Air, the aviation company that operated the luxury helicopter, has been quoted saying the safety protocols had been followed when the helicopter touched down in Athens, Greece.

Read more via The Guardian.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *