Keeneland has cataloged 73 horses for its April Horses of Racing Age Sale, to be held April 29 following the races on closing day of the spring meet. The sale, which will begin at approximately 6:30 pm ET and be live-streamed on Keeneland.com, will be conducted as an integrated event, with live auctioneers at Keeneland and with horses presented for sale both physically at Keeneland and at off- site locations. Keeneland also will provide online and phone bidding for buyers who wish to participate remotely.
“We’re really excited about hosting the April Sale as a complement to the spring meet this year,” Keeneland vice president of sales Tony Lacy said. “Racing in the afternoon and the sale in the evening will combine to showcase what Keeneland does best and provide a fantastic experience for our clients. The date of the sale should accommodate horsemen as they transition to summer racing.”
Post time for Keeneland’s first race April 29 will be 12:30 pm to accommodate 10 races, led by the featured $300,000 Bewitch Stakes (G3T). The final race will go off at approximately 5:09 pm, and the April Sale will begin around 6:30 pm
Keeneland will continue to accept approved supplemental entries to the April Sale until the sale date.
The catalog, also available through the Equibase iPad app, includes pedigrees, Equibase past performances and race videos, Daily Racing Form past performances, and Ragozin and Thoro-Graph figures. Consignors may upload photographs and walking videos.
Sign up for BloodHorse Daily
Print copies of the catalog will be available at Keeneland beginning April 18. A printed supplemental catalog also will be available prior to the sale.
Barn assignments will be finalized April 22, and the information will be available at Keeneland and on both the online catalog and the Equibase iPad app.
Participating consignors in the April Sale include Candy Meadows Sales, Conley Bloodstock, Denali Stud, Eaton Sales, ELiTE, Four Star Sales, Gainesway, Highgate Sales, Indian Creek, James B. Keogh (Grovendale), Paramount Sales, Taylor Made Sales Agency, and Ian Wilkes.
Among the horses cataloged in the sale are:
- Western River a 3-year-old winning colt by Tapit who is a full brother to Belmont (G1) winner Creator and is being pointed at the May 14 Peter Pan (G3) at Belmont Park
- Acting Out a 5-year-old daughter of Blame who won the April 2 Carousel Stakes at Oaklawn Park
- Battle Bling a stakes-winning 4-year-old daughter of Vancouver
- Cazadero a 4-year-old son of Street Sense out of grade 3 winner and millionaire Wild Games who won the 2020 Bashford Manor Stakes (G3) at Churchill Downs
- Cowan a 4-year-old stakes-winning colt by Kantharos who was second in the 2020 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint (G2T) and won the 2022 Duncan F. Kenner Stakes on the turf
- North Dakota a 6-year-old son of Medaglia d’Oro who is a half brother to leading sire War Front and won the 2020 Red Smith Stakes (G3T) at Belmont
- sianara, a 4-year-old winning daughter of Malibu Moon who is a half sister to two-time grade 2 winner Forbidden Kingdom .
Last year’s April Sale produced Brooke Marie who won the April 9 Monrovia Stakes (G2T) at Santa Anita Park for her purchaser, Castleton Lyons.
Preparing for the April Sale
Buyers who plan to attend the April Sale or participate remotely should register for an account and establish credit within the Keeneland Sales Portal. Keeneland recommends doing so two weeks before the sale. Buyers may watch a real-time video view of the live sale and bid simultaneously from Keeneland’s online bidding platform accessible through their accounts in the Keeneland Sales Portal. Two options are available: a live, on-demand bid that occurs manually and a max bid, which allows the software to bid on your behalf up to a designated price.